Friday, November 11, 2016

Come Again?: The State of America and My Graduate Manga Thesis

So. Let’s talk.

First of all, America just lost its head, and the only thing I can think to do is to just keep writing. Maybe this goes without saying considering the subject matter of most of my blog posts, but I want to say right now that that this blog is pro women, people of color, LGBTQ+, and everyone else who is truly scared for the social change that this coming farce of a presidency our resident toupeed cheeto wants to lead will bring. I am here, and I will continue to write, and I hope that every one of my words continues to bring you hope and feel that you are special and loved.

Secondly, I’d like to apologize for leaving you high and dry without a spooky themed blog post in October. The good news is I’ve got a killer outline for next year’s October, and all the time I should have spent writing that post went into writing my graduate thesis!

It’s long, so I won’t be posting it here, but it is here for your enjoyment if you would like to see! It’s the compilation of three years of research on the adaptation of Japanese manga for the American audience. I go over examples of editorial, design, and lettering choices that affect how the American audience interacts with manga, and then offer up my thoughts on the “best” way to do it. Spoilers: the best way to do it is pretty subjective!

And here is the recipe for the beef apple stew I made in preparation for those few weeks of not really having time to cook. Our apple trees are bursting, and I got inventive with them. It was a delicious stew, and I regret nothing. I didn’t use the carrots it suggests, though. I don’t like mushy carrots—and I don’t want to think about anything orange right now anyway. Maybe use purple carrots if you decide to use any. Carrots of color. Yeah. But I used more apples instead, and it was delicious too, so follow your dreams. This is definitely a dish that combines salty and sweet flavors. It feels like that might be relevant to our situation right now, huh?

But never give up, never surrender. The people who elected this puffy-eyed wart of a human being want us to be scared and defeated right now. Instead, do something that makes you happy. Do it again, and again, and again. Keep doing it. Because your happiness is worth it. Your smile is worth it. You are worth it. And these people will never be able to take away something that you can give yourself. Do something. Do anything. It doesn’t have to be great, it can be small. But do it. We only have each other right now, but that is by no means a small thing. I love you all. Stay strong.

And if you're having trouble with that, go play Undertale if you haven't already. If you have, remember this fight. Remember how even in the face of the impossible, all one must do is stay determined.

For those of you needing more immediate consolation, have a hugging Ruby and Sapphire and rejoice in the fact that we still have Rebecca Sugar making beautiful relationships between ungendered space rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment