Saturday, May 14, 2016

Comfort Food: Weddings Are Draining and I'm Too Tired to Think of a Clever Title

Okay, honestly, I didn’t have time to get this done because weddings are so crazy.

I’m not planning one, but one of my best friends is, and watching the stress eat her alive is not fun. It’s stressing ME out too! No one has the time, energy, or resilience to deal with this!! Go watch this video about how stressful we’ve made weddings in America!

Anyway, because of that, I’m doing a bit of a fall back post, and it’s late, and I’m sorry. Really, it’s just what I do for comfort food when I’m exhausted and don’t want to deal with the idea of cooking for an evening. It is, the poor man’s ramen. I buy Top Ramen noodles, I put half of them in a bowl. I then place onions, carrots, and two slices of ham and/or two pieces of salami in the bowl, spice it up with half the spice packet, some red chili pepper, and some red chili flakes and then cover it and wait for two to three minutes depending on how zonked out I am. I eat this a lot when I forget to cook or buy groceries or eat in general. It hydrates and even has some nice vegetables in it. As a bonus, the hot from the red chilis gets my head in the game, and the salami adds its fat to the broth.

I’m a fan of soup in general. I think of it as the ultimate form of sustenance, because it is both beverage and food-stuff in one. This is why it’s my favorite comfort food.

Speaking of media that is comforting, after a long day I want one of two things: something sweet and adorable or something rude and irreverent. There are two cartoons I turn to to provide these things.

The first is Wander Over Yonder. Never have I seen a cartoon with such a sweet, sensitive, and considerate male character. The cartoon even manages to make the supposed villains endearing and relatable. In a kids’ show, I just can’t get over it, okay? It’s a critique on stereotypes of all kinds, it doesn’t ask me to think too hard, and Wander is constantly pulling out his banjo to help someone with a song. Go watch some, you’ll be glad you did.

The second is Bob’s Burgers. From Tina’s obsession with butts to Gene’s fart jokes to Louise's Bond villain level plots, this show is everything I want in television that makes fun of my life and offers commentary. It always makes me hungry for burgers, though, so watch at your own risk.

If you want a crazy burger joint, though, check out Calamity Jane’s out in Sandy, Oregon. I get the Tombstone burger every time I go. It’s loaded with spicy sausage and jalapeños. Man, I missed spicy things in Japan.

Keep it chill, all. Real post next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment